Brief History of Traffic Engineering and Safety Conference
The first Traffic Engineering conference hosted by UIUC was in February 1941. Professor C.C. Wiley founded the conference and chaired it for several years. Then, Professor John Baerwald continued offering the conference until 1983, when he retired. There was no traffic engineering faculty to offer the conference. The conference was re-established by Professor R. Benekohal in 1988 and it has been offered continuously since then. The name of the conference was also changed to “Traffic Engineering and Safety Conference” to reflect the scope and coverage of the conference better.